The Better Business Bureau (BBB) in Chicago says card skimming is becoming a common problem at ATMs and gas stations. BBB advises consumers to:
● Inspect the machine before swiping a credit or debit card to see if there is any new or suspiciously placed camera or unusual signage;
● Cover the keypad when entering the PIN;
● Choose a financial institution's ATM over a standalone ATM in public areas;
● Change the PIN frequently;
● Monitor account statements for suspicious charges and sign up for alerts to be notified for certain kinds of transactions;
● Report fraud immediately; and
● Use an RFID sleeve to prevent unauthorized access to RFID chips with personal data on credit/debit cards and driver's licenses.